Schedules, conflicts, and onslaught of information can really trouble a Disciple of Jesus Christ. Who can rest, even as summer approaches. June 21st may be the first day of summer but it still seems like chaos is what our lives are and can be. Worn out, stressed out, ready to quit the “rat race”. There is a different way to rest that most people don’t realize. That is resting in the Lord. Jesus said:
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in hear, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
When the demands feel overwhelming, when I’m inadequate, when the calendar dates are triple booked, when I am already wiped out, how do I rest in the Lord?
Here are 7 ways that I would encourage you to try this summer to find God’s promised rest:
- Pray God’s truths and promises Sometimes I need to just stop what I am doing and talk to God about His word and my woes. By doing so, I let God’s truth touch my troubled soul. Some of the most helpful verses for me are Psalm 46:1-11, Philippians 4:6-8, and 1 Peter 5:5-7.
- Meditate on God’s Word There are some great apps now for doing this. I found the Blue Letter Bible a good one for me.
- Get Adequate sleep Most people need around 8 hours of sleep nightly.
- Get Outside and Go for a 5 minute walk. Think about God as Creator and the created world which lets us know His majesty, beauty, and wonder.
- Eat a Nutritious Breakfast In addition to rest and exercise, God also designed our bodies to function on the food He created.
- Having Friends Pray when I have a hard day, I can always ask someone to pray for me. It helps me remember what a loving God we have and the community He has created
- Slow Down Florida is Hot during the summer That heat can make one just plain tired.
These 7 ways help but none of this rest is possible (or maybe for a couple minutes, hours or days feeling rested) until Christ becomes your rest,
“for the one who has entered His rest has Himself also rested from His works, just as God did from His” Hebrews 4:10
Jesus Christ is the only Source of both true peace and rest. May God be our rest and peace this summer and abound to us in grace and hope.
Resting in the Lord,
Pastor Don Treglown
P.S. As a Disciple of Jesus Christ, I find my most restful times are studying the Word of God, worship, praise, and coming to the Lord with humility. I would encourage all of us to take a break from the problems, stress, and the cares of this world and look to Jesus for some true peace and rest.